Thursday, April 19, 2012

Germanic Poland

I've just been looking back at the blog posts for the last few weeks and realised there has not been many international ones. They have been quite local pictures and though that is obviously my best source of material for this blog, a website that is called 'The Photographic World of Pete Halewood' should have some more regular foreign destinations. Now I am not a professional travel photographer but I am ambitious enough to want to travel as much as possible and though I was downbeat a little while ago about my chances of travelling a lot this year, things have changed a little (I'll explain more about that in a future blog) and there might be opportunities now to go to a few foreign lands this year.

So that brings me today's picture. This was taken in the centre of Wroclaw, a city in the south west region of Poland. In fact it's so far in the south west that for hundreds of years it was part of Germany, where it was called Breslau. This picture shows the German architectural style in the background and the fountain in the foreground is part of the rapidly modernising aspect of the city. Wroclaw is developing culturally and economically at a fast pace and not only is it one of the host cities for this years Euro 2012 tournament but it will be the European Capital of Culture in 2016.

4 comments:

  1. Liking this one Pete. Processed to your normal standards and I love the contrast between architecture from the past and the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous, Pete! Very nicely processed. Beautiful light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice image Pete. You're right it is very Germanic. I might have cropped in even more so no sky was showing, but thats just me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments and thoughts everyone, they are much appreciated as always!

    ReplyDelete